Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Public Benefits legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Massachusetts Public Benefits Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits and Social Security for Massachusetts on
Q: I am a 33yo Army veteran who is 100% IU. Denied during reconsideration. If I appeal what happens next?

Denied 1st go, I appealed. Denied in reconsideration. I just don't know if I should appeal it again. I know I am on the younger side but my injuries both physical and psychological hinder the fit and reliable person I used to be.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on May 17, 2024

If you have been denied during the reconsideration stage of your Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) application, you have the right to appeal the decision again. The next step in the appeals process is to request a hearing before an Administrative Law... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Personal Injury and Public Benefits for Massachusetts on
Q: I am having a huge problem with Medicare. Despite doing everything I was told to do, I still do not have insurance.

I paid the amount of money I 'owed' , filled out and sent the paperwork (3 times) and still do not have any insurance. I am very worried now that I have missed my gynecological oncologist (had ovarian cancer treatments), much needed mammogram and colonoscopy (have Lynch Syndrome),... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Aug 13, 2023

A Massachusetts attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for your ordeal with the injury and cancer treatments. One option is to try to apply online - that could be quicker than the paper route. Another is to contact them and ask for a location of an... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Family Law and Public Benefits for Massachusetts on
Q: Hi. Can you receive child support if parent is on social security disability?
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jul 19, 2023

When it comes to child support, the fact that a parent is receiving Social Security disability benefits does not automatically exempt them from their obligation to pay child support. Child support is typically determined based on various factors, such as the needs of the child and the income and... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Public Benefits for Massachusetts on
Q: I was given custody of non biological child by the father,whom had full custody.what do I do next,if there's anything?

I have been already help raise this child for 10 yrs his father recently received full custody of him due to other biological parent did not respond to letters or show up at court,they awarded him full custody. Now he has gone to jail and gave me full custody rights to his son. The paperwork is... View More

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
answered on Mar 15, 2021

You question is a bit shy on the procedural background. So there should be a Guardianship of Minor Petition and Petition for appointment as Temporary Guardian. Has that occurred? Otherwise has the DCF commenced a care and protection case in the district court? It sounds like adoption proceedings... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Public Benefits for Massachusetts on
Q: Can she apply for child support in a state she’s lived for 2 months?

Me & and the mother of my child are from MA. I’ve been in Florida for 4 years. She kept my child from me for 2 years, with false restraining orders etc (which I don’t know how that’s legal). She decided to get on good terms with me when her false accusations expired. She moved down here... View More

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
answered on Feb 24, 2021

It sounds like Massachusetts has a lot of contacts with the parties and the child for child support orders, although if the child was only back in Massachusetts for 2 months custodial non-monetary issues would be appropriate in Florida as the home state. Was there a paternity or Custody and Support... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Massachusetts on
Q: Can a pass a OCC urine in the state of Massachusetts if I take suboxone without a prescription?
William Barabino
William Barabino
answered on Apr 13, 2020


I am fairly confident that the answer is no. The OCC program is very sensitive and knowledgeable to the abuse of nearly every type of drug.

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits and Social Security for Massachusetts on
Q: Is my wife eligible for Social Security Disability?

My wife, 57, is legally blind. Her vision has steadily gone downhill for 15-20 years and hasn't driven since 2005. She hasn't worked since 1995 after our second daughter was born.

L. David Ferrari
L. David Ferrari
answered on Oct 3, 2019

Maybe, but unlikely. If she is qualified for disability for medical reasons, because she has not paid into Title 2 AKA SSDI since 1995, she would not qualify financially. The other benefit available IF she medically qualifies, is Supplemental Security Income AKA Title 16 or SSI.

SSI is...
View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.