Branford, CT asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut

Q: Can someone who was arrested for assault see the police report that got them arrested.

Friend was arrested for Assault 3rd degree in CT. She is in the middle of a divorce after finding out her husband blew their entire savings on cocaine (35k+). Her husband told the police that she broke her toe, which didn't happen. That's all she knows. She tried to get a police report, but they told her that they couldn't until they heard from the court that the case was closed or something of the sort. She did appear in court for a promise to appear where she was given a court date. She has no idea the details of the complaint and obviously wants to know and needs to know to defend herself.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lindy R. Urso
Lindy R. Urso
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Stamford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: If she represents herself, she should file an "Appearance" form with the clerk and the State's Attorney's Office indicating as much. If she has a lawyer, the lawyer will do the same. Once an Appearance is filed, she or her lawyer can file a written request for Police Reports pursuant to Practice Book section 40-13A, and the state will provide the reports within 45 days (almost always much sooner).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.