Asked in Immigration Law for Nevada

Q: I have been in US since 1978 with no interruptions. I am undocumented with no criminal record. Can I legalize my status?

I was born originally in Italy. I am 72, retired. I own 3 condos in Las Vegas and I pay real estate taxes. I am financially secure.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Adan Vega
Adan Vega
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: Your undocumented status, your longevity in the U.S. , and ownership of real estate will not automatically lead to a lawful status.

Other factors will need to be examined to determine your options:

•Do you have U.S. citizen or resident relatives?

•Have you been the beneficiary of a relative or employment based petition?

• How long have you been undocumented?

• Have you ever been a victim of a crime?

• Have you ever been detained by DHS?

• Have your ever been arrested and convicted of a crime?

These are some questions that need to be explored to fully explore all your options.

Stephen Arnold Black agrees with this answer

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Nothing you have said provides sufficient information to determine if you have any options. If you have family members who are USCs, and you entered lawfully, then that could be one option. The best way to find out would be to speak with an immigration attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.