Ardmore, OK asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for Oklahoma

Q: if you are 17 and pregnant and don't feel safe in your home can you leave?

I have the support from a cop and his wife that i lived with last time my dad was on drugs. i also have audio clips of him hurting my step mom. i just don’t want me or my baby around him

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jessica Brown
Jessica Brown
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I am so sorry to hear you are in this position.

Minors who are 17 can, if they are able to support themselves financially (and other considerations) petition the court for emancipation. That is a process where the court does what is called “grants rights of majority.” Essentially, the minor would be recognized as an adult and the parents don’t have control and can’t force them to return home any longer.

If a minor leaves without being emancipated, the parents/guardians can force the minor to return home. Anyone harboring the minor could get into trouble.

If a minor goes to a shelter, the shelter is required to call DHS and the parents within a specified period of time. Practically, if a minor is close to 18 and is safely away from the parents, DSH usually doesn’t intervene much.

A big underlying question here is why - is it unsafe, abusive, etc? That impacts things.

I wish you the best. That’s a tough spot.

Pete David Louden agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.