Pflugerville, TX asked in Juvenile Law, Medical Malpractice and Health Care Law for Texas

Q: Can a 16 year old minor be prescribed medication with only one parent knowledge and consent in Tennessee?

My wife scheduled mental health counseling for our 16 year old son. Prescription medications SERTRALINE

and FAMOTIDINE were prescribed. I am the father. And was not aware or approved of prescription medications. Can a minor in Tennessee be prescribed these drugs without both parents consent?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Tanaka
Jonathan Tanaka
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Harker Heights, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Hello, thanks for your question!

I am not a doctor and am not sure what those prescriptions are for, but since you're both married and this is your son, you both are free to make medical choices regarding your son, either jointly or separately.

I would suggest that you dialogue with your wife and son and see how you can assist your son's mental health struggles.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.