District Heights, MD asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maryland

Q: My tenant stopped paying rent since jan 2021 and after 30 day vac notice serve to her, she started damaging my property.

I own a property in AA county, Md. my tenant stop paying rent started jan 2021. After serving her a 30 day notice to vacate property. in retaliation she started to damage my property. One time she blocked my mechanical room with items and created a fire hazard. A 14 day notice was issued to her to putting imminent danger to me and my property. Few times she left gas on and left the place unattended. what is the best course of action I should take to get back possession of my property. At this time tenant is 4 months behind rent and is working full time. How does the law work in MD with landlord/tenant? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard A Englander
Leonard A Englander
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: It sounds to me like you might have a breach of lease situation on your hand. If you gave her the proper notice, the next step would be to file a breach of lease. I would contact an attorney before doing so, as the showing in an emergency breach of lease situation (ie. where you would make use of a 14 day notice) is a bit different than a standard breach of lease (ie. where you give 30 days notice of breach).

You may also want to file a Tenant Holding Over action and/or a Failure to Pay Rent action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.