Monroe, MI asked in Landlord - Tenant for Michigan

Q: My ex-boyfriend moved out last year.

However when I signed the new lease last July, they forced him to sign the lease because it was not enough notice. Now they are saying that I cannot leave this lease when it ends in July because he isn't giving notice. Can my landlord charge me month to month and hold me to the lease?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: See the landlord tenant handbook from the state of Michigan for perhaps a starting point, but you might benefit from a consultation from a lawyer.

It is common for residential leases to start with a 1-year term and continue in month-to-month terms until the landlord or tenant provides one full term notice (that's a minimum of 1 month). Some leases expire after the 1 year and it is expected the tenant moves out, or face an increase in rent. Some leases expire and permit the tenant to move out without notice, but if the tenant does not move out, and if the landlord accepts rent it automatically converts into a month-to month.

If you are the only one living there, and the only one paying rent, it is my hope the landlord 'just' misunderstands the situation. But it might be a situation where a lawyer can provide a cost effective exit for you by intervening, prevent lost sleep, and avoid the hassle. It is difficult to find a tenant attorney, so you might need to call the State Bar of Michigan referral number.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.