Mustang, OK asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Juvenile Law and Native American Law for Oklahoma

Q: can i lose my parental rights if i sign perimission to another family member to have partial parental rights?

my daughter lives with my cousin in another town because she is going to school there. They want to get her teeth fixed but in order for them to get her on their military insurance, she has to be part of their family so they want me to sign some kind of temporary parental control or something like that. i don’t want to lose my rights to my child over this, because that’s kinda how it sounds when they asked me about it. What does this mean? i should tell you now that my child is enrollled on the comanche tribal roll also

1 Lawyer Answer
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Parental rights in Oklahoma are only terminated in connection with an adoption or for abuse/neglect in a deprived child action. If there is a guardianship where someone else has control of your kids that does not terminate your rights, but it can give that person the right to have possession of the child and make decisions.

Best policy is never sign any legal document until you have met with an attorney so the attorney can review the docunent and explain to you what happens if you sign the document. Meet with an attorney before you sign anything.

Jessica Brown agrees with this answer

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.