Lomita, CA asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Car Accidents for California

Q: Torrance PD refused to accept my claim of hit-and-run?

Today while crossing the street I was intentionally hit by a van, which immediately sped away. My gf managed to take a photo of it and we called Torrance PD to report the incident. Patrol car arrived and two officers questioned both me and gf, but seems they were hesitant to do anything. In fact, they pointed that it was my fault and it's me who can be sued by the van driver- it is illegal to prevent the vehicle from moving??? And when I said- Ok, say, I cannot do that, is it OK to attempt to murder me with a moving vehicle, hit and drive away? And the officer said, no, that's not an attempted murder... I said, that security cameras must have recorded the incident, but- still No. And, to my direct question, Are you going to record anything I said, look at the evidence? No! To make it short, they refused to record my report, they even didn't ask if I needed medical help, refused to look at the photo of the van which my gf snapped as the van was speeding away.

What are my options?

1 Lawyer Answer
David Michael Lehr
David Michael Lehr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Ventura, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It is only a crime if you were injured or property was damaged. I hope that you are okay.

Good luck!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.