Atlanta, GA asked in Consumer Law for Kentucky

Q: Question about consumer laws

I dropped my mower off for a tune up and oil change including hydrostatic system. The price was quoted $180-$200 depending on the mower. Later that day the guy calls with a list of things that need to be replaced. I asked specifically okay if you replaced everything you think is wrong, worst case scenario, how much would it cost? The answer was $800-$900. I said that’s more than I am prepared to spend. Just fix the things that are critical. He again started giving me a list of the critical items. A couple of days go by and he calls and says that it will be right at $900. I said okay, but asked why... he gives me an excuse. Calls me the next day to tell me my bill is $1075, but more labor will need to be included. I argue with him but say that I will pay $1150 total no more, if he shows me all of the receipts for the parts replaced. He tells me I will get an itemized receipt which is not the same. What is my best option to keep for getting screwed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Pay the Bill, get the itemized receipt, ask for all the old parts to be given to you, then sue him for fraud when he can’t produce them and they don’t match up with the bill.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.