Kent, WA asked in Immigration Law for Washington

Q: I am filing my n-400 and I have a question, I have my 4 year tax transcript, the first year in 2016 I didn’t work?

In 2016 I am filing my n-400 and I have a question, I have my 4 year tax transcript, the first year in 2016 I didn’t work?I did not work and I was a student, my question is that for my n-400 ,I have my 4 year tax return, for 2016 I didn’t have income , so I don’t file a tax return, do I file a zero tax return for 2016 , and it says part 12 have you ever not filed a tax , shell I say yes or no because in 2016 I didn’t work, or shell I just file my 2016 with zero income, advice is appreciated

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI

A: When you don't file a tax return because you are not required to file a tax return per IRS rules, you would answer YES to not having filed a tax return and simply explain why you were not required to file for that year. Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.