Madison, WI asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Arkansas

Q: I am be sued by a woman in Cleburne County for 20k of horse boarding. She took my horse from Wi without my permission,

She got caught forging my signature on the horses registration papers. Now she's sueing me for 20k for the 2 years she's had my horse. What kind of attorney do i need

1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Get a lawyer who will answer your calls even on weekends. You will probably owe her some money and she wants to keep the horse instead of taking payment. My cousin is one of the top trainers in the mid-south. Her fee is $375 per month per horse. That would come to around $9,000 in your case. Since there was no contract between you and the Plaintiff, the Court will most likely "impute" that a contract exists. That means the Court will do justice. I figure the Court will say that this lady agreed to take care of the horse for a reasonable time such as a few months or so. The Court will then say that you owe her some money for taking care of the horse without payment. Most of the time these cases are settled between the parties. The lawyers work someone out where both parties can agree. In fact there are mediators who the Court might appoint to assist.

In any event, there is a lot going on and you need an attorney. Your lawyer will need to see the papers that were served. You only have 30 days to respond. There are many great attorneys on here. Expect legal fees of $2000 to $4000. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.