Katy, TX asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Wrongful Death for Texas

Q: What could be done against former Temporary Administrator of the Estate of a deceased for making a false claim?

In an accident 30 years ago a person died but his wife survived. A wrongful lawsuit followed that resulted in surviving wife receiving compensation for death of her husband and her injuries. Surviving wife found out recently that Temporary Administrator of the Estate of deceased also received a substantial amount in the settlement as per the newly discovered settlement agreement. Former Temporary Administrator of the Estate of deceased denies receiving money from settlement and claims that entire amount of settlement went to the surviving wife. The brother of the former Temporary Administrator of the Estate of deceased has recently filed a criminal case against the surviving wife overseas for not getting his share from the wrongful death settlement. the settlement agreement says that half of the settlement went to the former Temporary Administrator of the Estate of deceased. surviving wife thought she was the only person entitled to compensation. Could someone please help?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It has been too long for a criminal conviction because there is a 10 year period specified by the statute of limitations for theft from an estate. See: Texas Code of Criminal Procedure article 12.01(2)(A)

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.