Q: Can I pursue federal court case against many neighbors engaged in harassment/threats of violence to family and I ?

Things started with neighbor whom moved out with harassment towards my family and I. A friend living across street from him then continued to do the same to us depriving us of peace in our own home. This is 24/7 and has been ongoing for over a year at least. Things have escalated, they’ve basically conspiring together to do us bodily harm as well as mental anguish and stresses that on top of pandemic has made life unbearable. We are stalked here in our home, them harming us using advanced technology such as lasers, aiming in to our faces and eyes during daytime and night. Some we can catch a glare of and others are invincible to the eye but can be captured using a camera which we’ve managed to do. They are now depriving us of sleep using amplified sound scaring mainly my 8 and 12 year old children. They have managed to literally climb up a pole which has street lamp in order to use it’s harmful ultraviolet and radiation properties by radiating flashes of pulsing light destroying us...

1 Lawyer Answer
John Karas
John Karas
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Temecula, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In order to file a lawsuit in Federal District Court, there has to be "diversity of citizenship" (meaning you live in 1 state while the defendants live in another). The amount of damages also has to be in excess of $75,000.

From what you've described, you have several remedies available in state court starting with calling the police whenever you "catch them in the act", filing a Civil Harassment case to get a Restraining Order to filing a lawsuit.

I suggest you an civil litigation attorney in your area about your options. However, be aware that despite the emotional trauma you and your family may have suffered, it's highly unlikely any attorney would take your case on contingency meaning you would have to pay money up front and an hourly fee for their legal services.

Alexander C. Safarian agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.