Arlington, TX asked in Energy, Oil and Gas, Estate Planning and Probate for Oklahoma

Q: My father died without a will and I want to know what is required to transfer the mineral rights to me and my siblings.

Okla affidavit of heirship requires a 10 yr waiting period, what is another option with a shorter waiting period?

1 Lawyer Answer
James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You need to do a probate of the estate. This is because mineral interests are an interest in real property and to pass marketable title you have to have to probate of the estate. The affidavit of heirship is for severed mineral interests and is a method to obtain marketable title if the affidavit has been filed of record for more than 10 years and there is nothing of record which contradicts the title. If it is a small interest some oil companies will pay on the title based on an affidavit, some will not. there ar abbreviated procedure for small estates. Contact an estate attorney for advise on your best options.

Gary Johnston Dean agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.