Ann Arbor, MI asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Michigan

Q: My father died a couple of years ago and I am skeptical about the will. How can I obtain a copy?

He made very good money and spoke with me about his will and how things were to be divided. My step mother claims he left us nothing. He lived in Arkansas.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Each state is different, but your best bet would be to contact the probate court in the county he lived in to see if they have a will on file.

Just be advised that most states' laws would allow for the majority of a person's estate to go to the spouse regardless of what a will might say; in other words, the only stuff that might be subject to division by the terms of the will could be what doesn't otherwise go to the spouse - and in many cases, that's very little. You may also be beyond applicable time limits to challenge the will.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.