Douglasville, GA asked in Consumer Law, Banking and Domestic Violence for Texas

Q: someone gives a car 2 u, permanently, what must they legally do? Father gave 2000 suburban 2004. Need title 2 insure

Since I got a protective order against son (stalking, drug charges, child abuse) his father helping by leaving me unable to drive even this vehicle I rebuilt all year. My ex took the Denali, trying to put me and children on the street.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This question is tagged for both Georgia and Texas. I don't know anything about Georgia, but in Texas, the proper method to give a vehicle as a gift requires both the Giver and the Recipient to sign an "Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Gift Transfer" and an "Application for Texas Title and/or Registration" and take those documents to the county tax office and pay the $10 gift tax. You can probably download the forms from the Texas DMV's website. If none of that happened and the father still has title to the vehicle then you should probably just contact a Family Law attorney about the situation with your children and focus on that first.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.