Sapulpa, OK asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Oklahoma

Q: Did judge deny me due process by setting a review hearing?

A judge in creek County ordered a emergency protective order to be transferred to tulsa to be heard in conjunction with pending FP case due to minor child listed. Creek County judge then sets a review date to be back in his court 90 days from then. Petioner never set a hearing in tulsa. Tulsa family court judge stated he had no jurisdiction to rule on the matter because of the review date set in creek County. A Creek clerk said the review date was marked off when they transferred the order to tulsa. How can creek County give petitioner default judgement for defendant not showing when tulsa never ordered case transferred back to creek County and Oklahoma law states a protective order involving children must be heard in any pending family case between the parties. Shouldn't it have been dismissed cause of Petioner not setting a hearing in tulsa by operation of law? Or creek County reorder it transferred back to tulsa without making a review order?

1 Lawyer Answer
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Combining a VPO with a paternity or divorce case is common. After the cases were consolidated, was a hearing set (by either party) to address both matters in the paternity case?

Did the parties have attorneys or was this a pro se deal gone wrong?

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.