Seneca, SC asked in Libel & Slander, Divorce, Employment Law and Family Law for South Carolina

Q: Can my husband get me for abandonment if I move out of the home because he has a girlfriend.

has had a girlfriend for over a year now. He takes our daughter around her. they talk bad about me in front of her. The girlfriend threatens to hurt me.. She sends me text and calls me. She has been in my personal information through the unemployment office where she currently works. She tells lies on me and is trying to get my unemployment stopped. i have moved upstairs cause i haven't been able to find a place that i can afford with only unemployment. Our daughter has said she wouldn't go with me but would come visit. It a great big mess ..14 yrs of mental abuse and sabotage.. He and his family has done but try to take her away from me and turn her against me from the day she was born. There is so much more.. I cant afford a lawyer because now my unemployment has been put on hold because of her. I have been very passive about it all but it is sucking the life out of me and i need to know where to start and what can I legally do to her for being in my stuff.. please advis

1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: In South Carolina, there is no divorce ground of abandonment; however, there is a ground called "desertion" that is not commonly used anymore. The most common ground for divorce is living separate and apart for more than one year, and the spouses must be separated before the one year can begin.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.