Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Libel & Slander legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
South Carolina Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Constitutional Law and Libel & Slander for South Carolina on
Q: How did they sign a warrant for my arrest based of the statement of a witness that was the so called victims best friend

The so called victim was my husband customer who wrote a bad check for 6500 and my husband and him argued at the dock. I never got off the boat but he said I damaged his car?! We didn't even at that marina I wouldn't even have known.what car or truck was his out of the 60... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 30, 2024

I understand your concern and frustration regarding the warrant for your arrest. In situations like this, it's important to know that law enforcement can issue a warrant based on the statement of a witness, even if that witness is the alleged victim's friend. However, the validity of the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Business Law and Libel & Slander for South Carolina on
Q: I have an issue regarding an Instagram account using my business logo to say damning things about myself

It is not only harmful to my business but the account is putting me in potential physical danager.. I am happy to share more details in private. My question is can I draft some form of letter explaining the danger they're putting me in and have them remove the post?

Roy Willey
Roy Willey
answered on Dec 26, 2023

Yes, you could send them a cease and desist letter. The issue with that is you don’t really know who they are and it’s likely to be ineffective. If you sued you could get more info about them via discovery with instagram to potentially find out who they are. But you will likely need a lawyer... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for South Carolina on
Q: What is the statute of limitations ?

I have conversation on police audio and video

Matthew Breen
Matthew Breen
answered on Jun 7, 2023

Generally, statutes of limitation (deadlines for filing a lawsuit) in South Carolina are three (3) years from the date of when the injury or occurrence that would give rise to the lawsuit happen. If a governmental entity is the intended Defendant, the Tort Claims Act comes into play. It has SECTION... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime, Civil Rights, Libel & Slander and Wrongful Death for South Carolina on
Q: My grandfather disappeared at sea while abord the S.S. Robert Luckenbach owned by the U.S.S. Luckenbach company. Help?

It was 1951 after leaving Panama. The Captain wrote a letter questioning his mental health to N.Y. before notifying the family of his disappearance. Would I have a case against U.S.S. Luckenbach steamship company?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 8, 2023

I'm sorry for the loss of your grandfather at sea. If there are any remedies available under South Carolina law, a local attorney would need to advise on those. But your question remains open for two weeks and you also posted under Admiralty/Maritime. Under U.S. maritime law, the Death on the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Divorce, Employment Law and Family Law for South Carolina on
Q: Can my husband get me for abandonment if I move out of the home because he has a girlfriend.

has had a girlfriend for over a year now. He takes our daughter around her. they talk bad about me in front of her. The girlfriend threatens to hurt me.. She sends me text and calls me. She has been in my personal information through the unemployment office where she currently works. She tells... View More

Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
answered on May 7, 2021

In South Carolina, there is no divorce ground of abandonment; however, there is a ground called "desertion" that is not commonly used anymore. The most common ground for divorce is living separate and apart for more than one year, and the spouses must be separated before the one year can begin.

Q: I live in Charleston sc an was pulled over over with catalytic converters in my truck an they took them with my permit

They didn't arrest anyone or nothing an investigation came out an kept me an the passenger there for hours before finally letting us go an taking the property that we had an could prove we took them off junk vehicles that was owned by the passenger of my truck is this ok for them to do

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Nov 16, 2020

A South Carolina attorney could answer your question best, but it remains open for four weeks. As a general matter, catalytic converters attract bad attention due to their theft for the precious metals they contain. Although your transport of the converters was legitimate as metals recycler,... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for South Carolina on
Q: What happen when a innocent person is harm by a dangerous human who set you up to be harm. be cause of the color of me;
Jeremy Rosenthal
Jeremy Rosenthal
answered on Sep 29, 2020

If someone set you up and you have no criminal intent then you should be morally and legally blameless. You should consult with a criminal lawyer in your state to discuss further specifics.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for South Carolina on
Q: I'm in spartanburg county need attorney advise for slander on false police report
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
answered on Jul 10, 2020

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

Slander is a civil matter in which someone defames you by verbal statement to others, knowing that the information that they have provided about you is wrong, with the intent to cause you harm.

A false police report is a...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Libel & Slander, Consumer Law and Real Estate Law for South Carolina on
Q: ZILLOW Inc is publishing false, erroneous and misleading info - and they refuse to correct it- what can be done??

Have documented responses from ZILLOW- they acknowledge deficiencies in their "systems" but refuse to take corrective action. WILDLY varying "Zestimates" in similar, side by side properties - and NO coherent response?? ZILLOW penalizes diligent homeowners who properly... View More

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Aug 24, 2017

I don't see it--it's an estimate. They can use whatever metrics they want. If you feel your property is worth more then the agent selling it for you can promote it appropriately. They aren't required to change just because you took advantage of the tax system to challenge the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Personal Injury, Consumer Law and Contracts for South Carolina on
Q: I am a guest at a hotel and was attacked at the free continental breakfast by an employee of the hotel. What can I do?

I placed 2 packets of oatmeal in my purse to eat in my room. Was making a waffle and told I have to eat all food in the lobby. When I stated that I was allowed to eat it and my coffee in my room she threw away my waffle, and while I was at the front desk asking for a manager, the lady went in my... View More

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Feb 12, 2017

Is there a place you can go that doesn't cost as much? If so move and cancel the reservation & tell your credit card. I would contact a local attorney, Carl Jacobson in Charleston. Use my name--he'll give you a free consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.