Tampa, FL asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Florida

Q: My 15 y.o. nephew from NY has runaway while down here in FL. What do I do?

My sister sent my nephew down here to live with me because he was trying drugs, not doing well in school and coming/going from the house whenever he wanted. At first he was doing so well down here...said it was toxic in NYC and he appreciated the calmer environment. However, now he misses his friends and is single minded on trying to get back to them. My mom, sister, and his dad have all said he should stay in FL because they know this is the best chance he has to a better future without the bad influences. He has now runaway because no one is giving in to what he wants.

I’ve filed a runaway report with the cops with cooperation from his mom. Ball is officially in his court what he wants to do because a flight to nyc is not an option

1 Lawyer Answer
Tami Lane Augen
Tami Lane Augen
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • West Palm Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Are his parents coming to Florida to find him and/or pick him up? They should consider take responsibility for him and should report him as a runaway. Do you know where he is? You may want to consider speaking with an attorney and moving forward in terms of reporting him as a runaway and/or to DCF. You have been entrusted to care for him, it would seem that you would want to ensure that he is back in the "custody" of his parents or the authorities rather than do nothing.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.