Bedford, PA asked in Estate Planning and Foreclosure for Pennsylvania

Q: I was in a bad relationship and had to leave my home. I own the house in Dallas Texas and live in Somerset PA.

How can I sell the house I was forced to leave in Dallas, Texas and /or get my x, who is still living in the house, to sign a rental contract so I am not forced to pay the mortgage for the house? He claims there is already a tenant / landlord contract signed. I don't remember signing one. What should I do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Mark Scoblionko
Mark Scoblionko
  • Allentown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Although you need to speak with a Texas lawyer, as a general proposition, if you are the sole person on the deed, you have the right to sell it. However, if there is, in fact, a written lease, any sale would have to honor the terms of that lease. Therefore, as a practical matter, you better find out if there is, in fact, a lease because, if there is, it will likely make a sale impossible.

If you are not the sole person on the deed, you need to engage a Texas lawyer to file for partition, which would, in turn, bring about a sale.

I suggest you engage a lawyer in Texas to help you with this.

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: You did not say whether or not you and your "ex" were married. If you were, of course, a divorce would go a long way toward resolving this (but not all the way). The house might get awarded to you, in which case you can sell it, or the house might get awarded to him, in which case you will need to be certain that he is required to get you released from liability on the mortgage. (Your divorce attorney should make sure this is part of the order.)

If you were not married, but you are both on the deed, then you can hire an attorney to help you file a lawsuit to force a sale and remit your share of the proceeds to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.