Hollywood, FL asked in Contracts and Education Law for Florida

Q: Can a college deny a student from completing schooling until the tuition fee is paid in full?

I’ve submitted an email requesting a leave of absence and attempted to get a deferral from the lender which they declined. Now I would like to re-enroll and they are denying me a chance to finish the program until I pay I pay off the current balance, the lender also increased the amount that I owed. As of 4/16/21 my balance was $750.00 now my current balance is $4,854.96 as of 5/11/21. Which according to them was due to non payment. The lender said if I paid the $750 today he’ll change my total balance to $3200.00, it seems a bit unethical to me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Liang
Linda Liang
  • Boca Raton, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Whether it is ethical or it is breach of contract, you must revisit the agreement you signed with the school when you first enrolled. You should bring a copy of the agreement and consult an experienced contract attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.