Arlington, TX asked in Domestic Violence, Criminal Law and Education Law for Arkansas

Q: Why was I sited for violating a no contact order when I was welcomed back into the supposed victims household?

I stayed with the supposed victim for an extended period of time before openly admitting to law enforcement over phone contact of my welcomed return which was also my home,as I was the son and primary care provider to my mother in said household. Also, my mother is in irreversible dimentia. My mother and I also had legal documentation written by a certified attorney that I was to receive such said household upon her inability to return to her house if admitted to a care facility for a period of two years or upon her death.My mother was of sound mind at that time approximately two years ago.The documentation was then reviewed and notorized by her bank.First Arkansas Bank and Trust of Heber Springs, Arkansas.We did however fail to file such documentation to the Cleburne County District Court. Upon learning of this mistake our attorney issued to me a quick claim deed which I immediately filed with the Cleburne County District Court after my no contact order had been issued.Please help me!

1 Lawyer Answer
Taylor Douglas Martin
Taylor Douglas Martin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Regardless if the contact is welcomed or not, a no contact order is a court order forbidding one to contact a certain person. Typically, a Judge views contact as contact regardless of the circumstances. However, a capable defense attorney should be able to bring the circumstances to the attention of the prosecutor and Judge, potentially lessening any punishment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.