Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arkansas Education Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Health Care Law for Arkansas on
Q: Im a school nurse being wrongfully accused & terminated. Would be better to get employment or nursing/health lawyer?

I am being wrongfully accused of something with little to no investigation into the event, the school is just believing what a parent is claiming and going off of that w/o my side of it. They consulted w/ their lawyer who determined that I was a liability so they are recommending termination.... Read more »

Greg Mansell
Greg Mansell answered on Nov 6, 2019

It would be best to get an employment lawyer that has experience in administrative hearings, board appeals, and hearings before the nurses' board.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Education Law and Family Law for Arkansas on
Q: Does a noncustodial parent where no court order of custody is present have the right to request school records?
Dustin A. Duke
Dustin A. Duke answered on Oct 22, 2019

The question is a little confusing, but I am assuming that since there is no court order and you refer to a non-custodial parent, that the parents were never married. In Arkansas, the mother of a child born outside of wedlock automatically has custody of him or her. The father has to establish... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law and Education Law for Arkansas on
Q: Do I have enough for a civil suit?

My son took mega death hot sauce to school and got suspended for 3 days for subversion because other teenagers tried it and got sick. I asked for the item back and the school said it was confiscated and used a police officer to stop me from taking it. My son did bring the hot sauce but did not... Read more »

W. Whitfield Hyman
W. Whitfield Hyman answered on Nov 6, 2017

They have to intend to permanently deprive you of the hot sauce in order to violate your property rights.

I have no idea if they can suspend over hot sauce or not, but it sounds ridiculous.

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Arkansas on
Q: Do the parents of the minor have to be present when the minor makes a verbal /written statement to school & local police
Kevin Shields
Kevin Shields answered on Apr 6, 2017

Parents need not be present while school officials are asking questions of a student in most cases. However, if the questioning was by the police or your child was in police custody, constitutional protections may be triggered. You may want to consult a local criminal lawyer about the specific... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Education Law for Arkansas on
Q: Do the parents of a minor need be present if minor gives a verbal/written statement to school & local police officers
Kevin Shields
Kevin Shields answered on Mar 30, 2017

You should consult an education or criminal lawyer to discuss the specific details of your case. The answer to your question will depend on who did the questioning, how the questioning was conducted, whether the minor was in custody and the minor's mental capacity. The safeguards in place for a... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.