Linden, NJ asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Collections for North Carolina

Q: Can I file a satisfaction of judgement. Paid amount in full about a month ago and have written notice without response?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Only the creditor can file a Notice of Satisfaction of Judgment. If you sent your demand for them to notify the Court about the payment of judgment in writing, and you have proof of receipt of your written demand, and they have not filed it, contact an experienced consumer law attorney. You need to have sent this by mail not email and have proof of delivery (priority mail or certified) for the best result. They have 60 days to report the payment on the judgment to the Clerk. If it has been less than 60 days since you sent the request, you are too soon to expect the report of satisfaction to have been filed. You should probably send the demand by mail certified or priority with a tracking number and get a receipt before you contact an attorney for the best results.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.