Clermont, FL asked in Contracts for Florida

Q: How do I collect on an agreement to pay for a business?

I sold the business to my partner, he sent me an agreement and signed it that he would pay me over 4 years and stopped making payments. Can I do anything to collect that? I am a 78 years old and really need the money. I haven't done anything since Covid, but now he is back in business and making money.

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

A: Contact a lawyer who handles business disputes or a contract lawyer or a collections lawyer in your area----bring them the agreement signed by your partner and ask them the best way to enforce it, that is, collect the monies owed.

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: First present your own written demand, if you have not already. Specify the terms breached and the amount owed. If you can't work it out, promptly schedule a consultation with an attorney. Beware of the statute of limitations, which for written contracts in Fla., has a limitations period of 5 years. If you do happen to work it out, of course put any new agreement in writing and have it signed - and it would be best to consult an attorney about the best way to word such agreement.

Tim Akpinar , Bruce Alexander Minnick and Linda Liang agree with this answer

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Depending upon the dollar amount involved you might be able to locate an experienced Florida business lawyer who does this for a living. There are several in Florida; and you do not have to retain one in the city where you live either; in fact, most collection lawyers prefer to collect in distant cities.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.