Laguna Niguel, CA asked in Family Law and Probate for California

Q: I was granted guardianship in New Mexico, but have lived in California the entire time. Do I petition in NM or CA to end

I have always resided in California, does the case automatically transfer? I want to end guardianship and am not sure if I petition in New Mexico or California? Guardianship was not supposed to be this long (13 years thus far), but birth mother keeps having time added to her sentence in prison.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jackie Marie Howard
Jackie Marie Howard
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Roseville, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Jurisdiction over the case does not automatically transfer, so the court that has been overseeing the case is where you would file.

James Edward Berge agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.