Rocky River, OH asked in Foreclosure and Family Law for Ohio

Q: foreclosure notice Ohio help

We received a foreclosure notice for our house. The house has late payment for nearly a year. The house mortgage and deed is in my dad’s name. My dad traveled out of the US in Feb-2020 and he has a police warrant so he probably not coming back. My mom and two young brothers living in the house now. They want to stay in the house and pay the late payments but she can’t do that while the mortgage in my dad’s name. Is there any way to transfer the mortgage and the deed to my mom’s name since my dad is not coming back to US. They are still married

does she has to refinance the mortgage in her name? or can she pay off what left from the loan and transfer the house to her name?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: They can continue to make payments. The bank doesn't care where the money comes from.

As to transferring the property the easiest way would be to obtain a divorce from your dad and take the house in the divorce subject to obtaining a refinance of the mortgage.

Call the attorney who filed the case and arrange to make payments.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.