Farmville, VA asked in Criminal Law for North Carolina

Q: Can I do anything to convince a DA to drop a felony charge to a misdemeanor in NC?

Tomorrow I meet with a detective and DA in NC. I'm going to be charged with breaking and entering (a grocery store) and larceny after the fact. It was a stupid mistake made out of desperation and I'll be returning the money during the meeting. I have no record and haven't done anything remotely close to this before. Is there anything I can say to convince the DA to charge this as a misdemeanor instead of a felony?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Dewar
Kristen Dewar
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Concord, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You need to immediately contact a criminal defense attorney in the county where this occurred - in fact, I recommend that you do so prior to any meeting with the detective and DA. The meeting itself is probably not the best idea. You will likely be arrested at this meeting. I highly doubt there is anything that you can say to the DA to talk them into only charging you with a misdemeanor. I recommend hiring a local criminal defense attorney immediately, and have them contact the detective and DA to politely cancel the meeting. If you still insist upon going to the meeting, I strongly urge you to bring a criminal defense attorney with you, and let them do all the talking.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.