Manassas, VA asked in Family Law for Virginia

Q: If I’ve been in recovery and clean off drugs can I get my custody back?

There’s a long history between me and my sons grandmother and she just doesn’t like me and always wanted to take my son from me. Well she filed a petition with the court and the judge gave her temporary legal and physical custody even though I had proof I was clean and in an outpatient program. Months are going by, if by the time our final hearing comes I have a year clean, what are my chances of getting my custody back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sonja Aoun
Sonja Aoun
  • Tysons Corner, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It's great that you are taking steps to be and stay sober, and the longer that continues, the better. Courts are looking out for children's best interests, and that means parents with problems need to take steps to address them. That may include individual counseling, drug treatment, taking a parenting class, etc. Talk to an attorney in your area about things you can do to improve and demonstrate your ability to parent well, and good luck to you and your family.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.