Atlanta, GA asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Car Accidents for Georgia

Q: What court in Georgia do I file bad faith against an insurance company?

I wasn’t driving my vehicle when it was in an accident, however the police report listed the driver of the other vehicle at fault. I put the property damage claim in with her insurance and in two days it was denied without any kind of investigation, I wrote a demand letter it was rejected. My insurance got involved they also declared the other driver at fault but because I only had State minimum they couldn’t cover my damages and then pursue her, the person driving my vehicle won his personal injury claim but the insurance is still refusing to pay my property claim, I also filed a smalls claims case against the at fault driver but the Marshall’s can’t find her at the address. I have read OCGA 33-4-7 and from what I am understanding my situation fits a bad faith claim if I’m wrong please tell me what my options are, and if I’m right please tell me what court do I file a bad faith claim in. Please do not tell me to speak to a bad faith attorney, I’ve already tried and they won’t help.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: You file your bad faith claim in the court where you live or the court where the insurance company maintains an office.

You can file a complaint with the insurance commissioner.

If the sheriffs cant find the liable person you can in most states arrange for service by publication. Each state has its own requirements.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.