Chandler, OK asked in Energy, Oil and Gas, Probate and Estate Planning for Oklahoma

Q: What is the process for making the oil company to pay out the royalties owed to our branch of the family?

My great aunt died intestate with oil interests and royalties. She died a widow with no children. She had 3 sisters and one brother. Her estate was resolved and the oil interests and royalties were paid except to one branch of her heirs - her one sister who is my grandmother. My grandmother died intestate before she took her 1/4 share of the oil interests and royalties. My grandmother had 4 children. Only 1 of her children is presently alive but all of them have had children (just recently my mom and aunt died). The Oil company has refused to pay the royalties because of the list of beneficiaries. As time goes it gets more complicated because an heir will die and their children step up to inherit. What is the process to make the oil company pay out the royalties owed to the heirs in our branch of the family?

2 Lawyer Answers
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: This is not a question that can be answered or resolved on a free online forum. You will need two Oklahoma attorneys who can help you with this - a probate attorney and an oil and gas attorney. If you would like some recommendations, write to me directly at and I can send you some attorney names and contact information.

1 user found this answer helpful

James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: In order for companies to be obligated to pay, they have to know that they are paying the correct person. The person to be paid must have "marketable title." In order to do that they must have completed probates for each of their predecessors who died while owning the minerals. In cases where the interests are very small (the dollar amount paid out), a company may choose to rely upon an affidavit of heirship. They are not obligated to rely on an affidavit unless it has been of record for 10 years and other certain requirements have been met. Although it was common wisdom in Oklahoma from "great aunts" to never sell your minerals, through the generations, they get split up to such tiny portions, that they can become valued less than the cost to transfer them. Although each situation is different, we believe that mineral owners should consider the size and value of the interest before they continue to split them up amongst their heirs. see You should consult and oil and gas attorney to help you with this issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.