Baltimore, MD asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maryland

Q: I let my brother live with my family 17 years ago when he separated from his wife and family, there was no rent.

We did 29 projects on the house, 25 of which he was paid for. Can I have him legally detained.there were no contracts, bills except for a paper i signed in 2006 that I cannot find dealing with my basement which we dugout together. He had no experience and did'nt under pin the foundation leaving me with tens of thousands of dollors of loss on the value of the house. In fact we put up block walls and irrigation canals all of which will have to be torn Otto underpin walls.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You have no case. You jointly participated in the work that you now claim was defective, and which neither of you had any experience or business doing. Homeowner DIY jobs carry that risk: you don’t know enough to follow building codes. That is true even if you were not beyond the statutes of limitations and repose, both of which would bar your claims even if your brother was a third-party contractor you hired to do the job.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.