Fort Bragg, NC asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Military Law for North Carolina

Q: Can I? And how fast can I adopt my younger brother?

I am in the military, and I want to adop my 15 year old brother. He lives with my stepfather and my mother lives in mexIco. I’m stationed in NC and my brother lives in California. How can I adopt him so I could bring him to live with me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The adoption process is a state law issue and if he currently lives in California then you will need to speak with a family law attorney there. Adoption may not even be necessary, depending on the purpose of the adoption. You may able to just have a custody order. You should also research what being a single parent on active duty requires of you - which will certainly include the need to have a parenting plan in the event you are deployed.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.