Rochester, NY asked in Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: If I was in court for a ticket in Jan 2018 why am I being notified to pay an outstanding balance now in July 2”21?

I was pulled over for speeding in October 2017 I pledguilty in January 2018 completed online driving school and paid appropriate fine. I just received a letter in the mail from the court saying that I still owe a balance for the ticket that I pled guilty to in Jan 2018. I’ve not received any communication since Jan 2018 and believed the matter was resolved. The notice states I have until the end of July to pay balance or risk suspension. I was originally charged with 72 in a 40. It was reduced to failure to obey a sign? Still got 3pts but I’ve never had any points otherwise on license and I did online traffic school and paid a fine a parking fine I believe. I’m just confused because I never received a balance notice or anything since Jan 2018. Don’t understand why my license isn’t already suspended if I’ve owed them money for 3.5 years

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Berkowitz
Brian Berkowitz pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • New City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Thank you for your question. Is it possible that the notice you received was from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles and not from the court where your ticket was handled? While your question seems to indicate that you do not have any other points on your license, it may be helpful to know that in the State of New York, any driver (regardless of where they are licensed,) is subject to having to pay a Driver Responsibility Assessment (“DRA”) if they accumulate 6 or more points within an eighteen-month period. The eighteen-month period is calculated from incident date to incident date (not the date of conviction,) so if a driver has multiple convictions (resulting in points) during that time frame, and the points add up to 6 or more, DMV will impose a monetary assessment that if not paid in a timely manner, will result in the suspension of the license or privilege to operate a motor vehicle in the State of New York.

Further, it is not uncommon for NYS DMV, during routine “housekeeping,” to find that a driver should have received a DRA from old convictions and impose the assessment years later.

The easiest thing for you to do, is to contact the court and/or DMV and find out exactly what is causing you to have to pay the additional amount of money. If you were given a specific date to pay or risk suspension, you should move quickly to address this issue, so that your license and/or driving privileges are not suspended. If you are going to call NYS DMV, it would be a good idea to call them when they first open, as it is not uncommon to be on hold for quite some time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.