Q: Is there a time limit to be served in PA.

I received a Court of Common Pleas Civil Cover Sheet today with the complaint from attorney attached. (Arbitration Matter) for my car causing damage to a building on Aug 13 2018. Paperwork is stamped Aug 11 2020. I received this notice from a sheriff today. I know they are within the 2 year statue of limitations for filing . But it was filed almost 11 months ago? Is there a time frame for me to be served. I don't believe the sheriff tried to deliver before today and this accident was almost 3 years ago.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: This is what you pay car insurance for. Notify the adjuster of the company who insured you back then. Get their address, fax, claim number; fax them a copy and send them a hard copy, certified return receipt. They should give you an attorney and they will file what are called preliminary objections if appropriate. Otherwise they will file an answer.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.