Miami, FL asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Employment Law for Florida

Q: Can a contract be voided if you was under the influence?

I don’t remember signing my workers compensation contract after the day I got out of the hospital. I was completely drugged up because I got ran over by a garbage truck. So that means that one of the workers compensation employees had to come by to get me sign their documents. Can I get out of their contract if I was under the influence without me acknowledging everything?

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You could certainly try. To have a valid contract, you cannot have an impairment causing you to lack the required capacity to enter into a legally-binding contract. Basically, you must be mentally competent, and being drugged up could possibly cause you to temporarily lose the necessary mental competence. You would start by asking the other party to the contract to cancel due to the drug-caused impairment. You may, if desired, say you'll need to consult an attorney if they won't cooperate. Then, if necessary, consult an attorney about representation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.