Kingman, AZ asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Texas

Q: Is there recourse if a trustee tells a beneficiary they aren't in the will when in fact they are?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The person named to settle an estate in a Will is called an executor. The person named to administer a trust is called a trustee. What someone said or did not say is difficult to prove. However, once submitted for probate, a Will is a public document. Once appointed administrator, an executor is required to send notice to beneficiaries under the Will and to report having done so to the Court. There are exceptions for beneficiaries who will receive less than a certain amount, who will receive their gifts under the Will within six months, who have made an appearance, etc. If you find that you do not fall within one of these exceptions yet have not been notified, your best course of action may be to contact the executor or the executor's attorney: letters do get lost.

Teri A. Walter agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.