Wadsworth, OH asked in Consumer Law and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: Can a landlord legally do this and what is my course of action if any?

I recently signed a lease for an apartment and parking spots, a couple weeks after I signed and just two weeks before we move, we get an email from our new leasing office. The email states that the apartment we looked at won't be available on the move in date and they offer us an upgraded apartment.

The following day they say the upgraded apartment will no longer be available and a slightly different version of the first apartment is available. The latest apartment has an inconvenient feature for us. However we don't have much of a choice and agree. Then we get an email saying the parking spot has also changed one will be in the complex and the other is across the street.

At this point nothing in our original contract was as it said it was. The only compensation for this they have offered is $15 a month off parking. We have to move in that date since we have to move out of our current place. Can they legally sign people to contracts that they cannot fill?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You could sue landlord for breach of contract for a court to decide if what landlord did was a breach of contract.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.