Tulsa, OK asked in Consumer Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Oklahoma

Q: I need to file a Motion to Vacate arbitration decision.

Lawsuit has been filed. I'm the plaintiff.

014 Oklahoma Statutes

Title 12. Civil Procedure

§12-1874. Application to vacate an award.

Universal Citation: 12 OK Stat § 12-1874 (2014)

A. Upon an application and motion to the court by a party to an arbitration proceeding, the court shall vacate an award made in the arbitration proceeding if:

1. The award was procured by corruption, fraud, or other undue means; **Myself, as well as the Court, was led to believe arbitration was mandatory following a loss/damage claim. I have documentation to the contrary.

2. There was:

a.evident partiality by an arbitrator appointed as a neutral arbitrator, **Arbitration firm works solely with the moving and storage industry.


1 Lawyer Answer
David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Manhasset, NY

A: A motion to vacate based on "evident partiality" is a very tough motion. You need something more than a generalized suspicion that the arbitrator, though he works in the same business as your opponent in the Arbitration, was "evident[ly] partial."

Further, assuming that your arbitration was conducted in the standard fashion, you should have received his qualifications prior to the hearing. If he left off his connection with the other party's business, even that might not be enough, but I would suggest that you review the qualification you were provided with. The rule in Arbitration is that the arbitrator's decision doesn't even have to follow the law. But, the Courts frown on failure to disclose.

Any further questions, you can email me.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.