Oklahoma Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers

Q: Is there a simple form to ask the court to order return of personal property held by someone?

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Civil Litigation for Oklahoma on
Answered on Jun 28, 2018
Thomas A. Grossman's answer
There is no simple way to use the Courts. You would have to file a civil complaint against the person who has refused to return your personal property. The easiest thing for you to do is file a small claims action against the person. It costs only about $20 (in California) to file, and the paperwork is not very difficult. You should go onto the local superior court website near where you live and look for self-help under Small Claims Court.

Q: Does the MLA (military lending act) cover me in this situation?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Stockbroker Fraud for Oklahoma on
Answered on Sep 16, 2017
David Humphreys' answer
There is a federal Military Lending Act, but I am not aware of a state law passed in Oklahoma. The federal law does offer protections but you don't say in what way you think the MLA was violated. Please provide more information and I will evaluate. Thank you.

PS Don't let the time to answer the suit run, the predator will be able to get a judgment by default against you and you will lose your rights forever to defend yourself.


Q: What happens when a motion to modify a divorce decree was never finished. It was filed to modify but we never finished.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Apr 10, 2017
Gary Johnston Dean's answer
The last order, the Temporary Order is still in effect. My suggestion would be for either you or your Ex draw up your agreement, both sign your approval, and submit to the Judge for filing.

I would be happy to review it for you before it is filed if you send it to me. Visit my website for more contact info. www.garyjdean.com

Q: As a mediator doing business as a sole proprietor in Oklahoma, do I need to register a fictitious name if I use one?

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Dec 23, 2013
Howard Berkson's answer
Yes. Register your "dba" (doing business as) with the Secretary of State. You can do it online.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.