Lake Worth, FL asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Florida

Q: Hello, I’ve been losing sleep and having stress about courtday. It’s my first time getting a misdemeanor (812.015)

I don’t want to go to jail and I have a son to support and a in the middle of a divorce. I’ve gotten out of a toxic relationship and dealt with abuse growing up and the father is not taking any responsibility for child, the wrong I’ve done is that I took some redbull and used giftcards to purchase merchandise in the store. I signed a paper saying I would pay back the store 145$. I was an employee in the store for 3 years, because of this I’ve lost my retail job there. I made a statement for court explaining everything and they said they will provide a public attorney for me but I don’t know how any of that works, I don’t know how or when I will meet this public attorney. I am scared, crying everyday, everyone says not to worry but I would like to hear what you have to say to this, I don’t want to lose the good loving people in my life, I am not an evil person I just make very stupid decisions. This is the Florida state, it’s overwhelming me and I just want to end my life at this point

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Hold on there... DO NOT EVEN THINK OF ending your life over something like this. Only a Florida attorney who practices criminal defense should advise here. But your question was alarming in its nature. You're gonna get through this. Hopefully a Florida attorney knowledgeable in criminal matters will pick up your question and offer meaningful input, and if that does not happen tonight, your public defender should hopefully be advising you shortly. Until an attorney who practices in the criminal law field discusses this with you, any experienced attorney will probably advise you to not discuss your matter on public forums. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Camila Martin agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.