Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law, Child Custody, Constitutional Law and Juvenile Law for Texas

Q: Can I be charged if I gave a ride to a minor that i did not know was running away

Sons gf lives with uncle and grandma her mom lives in Mexico she had a argument they told her to leave her mom talks to me ask me to give her a place to stay three days later she went home again with uncle and grandma following day she asked me to pick her up and drop off at a store for someone else to pick her up I thought her mom knew what she was doing like the first time her family reports her as a runaway after I picked her up I tell the police I did give her a ride but I thought the mom knew what she was doing and I do not know who picked her up police tell me they are going to talk to DA to see if they can put charges on me for giving her a ride and that I am responsible in taking her back since I picker her up and if something happens to her I am also responsible since I was the last adult that gave her a ride

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The answer is "yes", you can be charged if the police have reason to believe you are not telling the truth about how much you knew. Quit talking to the police and get a lawyer. If the police believed you, they wouldn't be threatening to try to convince the D.A. to prosecute you. Talking to them further will only give them more ammunition in whatever case they think they have that you are guilty in this matter.

In case it didn't sink in when you first read what I said, let me repeat. Quit talking to the police and get a lawyer as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.