Asked in Child Support and Divorce for Massachusetts

Q: How to prevent college support when not in current order where no relationship exists? (Parental Alienation)

Massachusetts. Children. No Physical custody, No relationship exists. Joint Legal custody. Mother has alienated and isolated father from children's lives. Children are reaching age of college. Father is not in a financial position to support college and also does not desire to support college based upon the alienation. Mother will seek modification of court order to have father pay share towards college. What is the best defense to oppose mother's request and not have a financial obligation to support college? (Father is Pro Se) Father has submitted complaints for contempt due to mother's violation of court orders pertaining to alienation evidence, making unilateral legal custody decisions and informing father afterwards, and denigration.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: The Court will be aware of he Contempt filings and you should pursue them if you have not obtained Summonses with hearing dates , make contact with the Court. The Court would determine child support and college contributions of the parties and can consider the overall circumstances. However, be aware that there is not a visitation quid pro quo situation so that if there is no visitation there is no financial support obligation, which seems to be your question/suggestion? - No, there is still a support obligation to be determined by the Court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.