Brooklyn, NY asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Massachusetts

Q: I am looking for a pro bono lawyer to represent my 15 year old. She would like to live with me full time. Thank you

About three years ago my ex husband suffered three ischemic strokes which altered him. I was a stay at home mom for 13 years and one day come home to being kicked out, he retained a lawyer, I was left powerless. I lost custody of my kids after a long battle I couldnt win. It took a long emotional and physical toll on me.

I havent seen two of my kids in a year which leaves him in contempt of court. However they dont want to see me because their Dad has brainwashed them. Ive watched their emotional and physical health decline while I have taken the time to rebuild myself.

My 15 year old daughter is with me all the time and wants to live with me full time and return to her friends and where she is healthy. However we are afraid to go back to court where injustice separated us. I provide for her, travel with her etc. This after him convincing a court I was unsafe. It was all perjury and the lies he told a Judge my other two children now believe.

Please help my daughter come home.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Since your 15 year old has been with you and apparently wants to stay with you , this is a Modification of custody complaint which you would be bringing. At 15 your child would have a voice about her primary residence and would still have visitation with father. It is unfortunate that you have not had contact with your other children and you should pursue a Contempt complaint if visitation orders have been violated. The Court can urge family counseling to rebuild the relationship but time is of the essence and delay is not helpful. You have not informed what the issues were alleged with your custody battle so that is something which you should address with your counsel. You should be prepared to rebut whatever the accusations are or have been. Was DCF involved concerning abuse or neglect? Were there allegations of substance abuse?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.