Trenton, FL asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Florida

Q: I'm 17 . parent is non compliant of a court order, I refuse to stay with my toxic mom, hasn't supported me is CO void

I've been living with my grandparents for almost 8 months. They've supported me 100%. Mom agreed and even threw me out ( step dad did to) one time. She is toxic emotionally and physically, to me. I lose interest in school and life in general. I'm 17, a Senior in high school have been working PT, and will be working partime while in school. I plan to go to college when I graduate. Mom gets in her toxic moods and I ( no one else) have to go stay at my safe houses. Im tired of having to hide when she's like this. Im not going to live with her.shes always been verbally abusive. The last 2 years she's decided for 7 on 7 off. There is a standing court order. My dad lives on the property of my grandparents. When I was having to go with her, I'm ridiculed, cussesd at, you name it, I've been called it. I have my own transportation and my grandparents said I could stay without worrying about having household expenses. Do I have to comply w CO, is she in contempt, 4 non support

1 Lawyer Answer
Camila Martin
Camila Martin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Miami Lakes, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You should have your father consult with an attorney to try to modify the current timesharing order so the Judge can make a determination of what is the best for you based on your current situation. Another alternative will be to file for emancipation, but you will need to meet all the statutory requirements and have an adult to support you on this decision. Consult with an attorney so you can be aware of all your options.

DISCLAIMER: The answer provided here do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made are based on the limited facts you have provided and are general statements that might not be applicable to your case based on other factors. We do not have an attorney-client relationship and you should consult with a local attorney. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in the State of Florida. Camila Martin, Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.