Elkridge, MD asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Maryland

Q: Hi. I bough a house for $265,000 inn November 2014 with a girlfriend. Her Father actually bought the house outright.

However, he was not put on the deed then or ever. Only myself and girlfriend were on the deed. I was hesitant in buying the house this was as I didn't feel like I was buying the house and didn't have the pride in buying my first home myself. Plus, I did not qualify for the first time home buyer tax credit. But he just kept pressuring me that the APR he could provide me I would not be able to find through any bank. So monthly I would pay him $1,000 interest included. I also paid for home insurance and prior to moving in we had the hardwood floors in the entire house redone, which I paid for. Twice a year I paid the property taxes which usually were between $2,500-$3,000. June 2018 my girlfriend and I broke up. My exgirlfriend Father drafted a letter stating by me signing this I was to be taken off the deed. The house in now valued at $390,000. I was given the option to take the house but her Father said I'd have to get a mortgage and buy out her daughter. She kept the house. I got no $.

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Didn’t I answer this yesterday. When you sign papers, they matter. Let a lawyer review what you sighed… ya’know… like the grown ups. You will likely pay for the review.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.