Atlanta, GA asked in DUI / DWI and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Alabama

Q: My car was impounded in a residential parking lot parked, and the person that was sitting in the car was arrested.

He was “ high” and the keys was in reach of the person sitting. So they impounded my vehicle because he sitting in it this is in Tuscumbia, Alabama

2 Lawyer Answers
Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: I am not sure exactly what your question is, if you reply and clarify I would be glad to answer. I assume your question is about how to get your car back. If you know which law enforcement agency impounded the vehicle you can call and see if they will give you release instructions. If you do not know which agency is holding the vehicle, I would call the Tuscumbia/Colbert County District attorney and see if they can help you locate the vehicle.

There will likely be a fee attached to getting the vehicle out of the impound lot. There may also be a delay in getting the vehicle back if they have not conducted the impound inspection or if they allege the vehicle is evidence for the criminal hearing.

If the agency or district attorney refuse to give you information about how to get your car back then you should contact an attorney. If the vehicle was stolen at the time this occurred you should submit the claim to the insurance company and file a police report for the stolen vehicle. If that is the case the agency is more likely to waive any impound lot fees.

Anthony Kozycki
Anthony Kozycki
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tucker, GA

A: Are you trying to get your vehicle back? If so, contact the law enforcement agency that impounded the vehicle and they will provide you with the process for getting your vehicle back.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.