Portland, OR asked in Consumer Law and Real Estate Law for Oregon

Q: Do I need to sign a new lease if they messed up on the original?

I received a notice that my rent was going to be increased on April 30th. I signed a new lease for an entire year. The amount that is stated on the lease is $1,378. Since April they have been billing me $1,462. I called and left them a voicemail yesterday letting them know that they're billing is different from what it states on my lease. Now they are wanting me to sign a new lease for the new amount of $1,462. Am I required to sign that new lease or should I stick by the original one that I already signed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If you have a valid fixed term lease, they are stuck and cannot raise your tent until it expires unless there is an unusual clause in your lease allowing for it or unless you voluntarily agree to modify or replace the lease - and why would you?

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.